Power duo if you ask me. Too much of good things usually never work but for this one it did. This cheesecake recipe is not too sweet. but it works with the caramel of the baklava. I don’t want to over explain this, all I know is that this is definitely a cheat treat and it’s worth it.
Notes: Has to be serve at room temperature.
1 cup Walnuts, chopped
2 tbsp of Cinnamon
20 sheets of Phylo dough, cut to the size of a loaf pan
1/4 cup of Butter, melted
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp orange zest
2 8oz Cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Sour Cream
1/3 cup Heavy Cream
2 tbsp Flour
1/2 tbsp Vanilla paste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix walnuts and cinnamon.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and butter it.
- Put two sheets of phylo dough and generously brush it with butter. Repeat 3 times.
- Put 1/3 of the walnuts mixture and top it with two more phylo sheets and generously brush it with butter. Repeat 2 times. Add in 2 sheets phylo sheet and butter, repeat this 3 more times.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- In a sauce pan, simmer water and sugar until melted.
- Add in honey and orange zest.
- Boil until it’s golden caramel in color about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the baklava from the oven after 25 minutes and pour over the caramel. Cool it down on a rack, completely.
- Cheesecake. In a bowl, cream sugar and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Add in sour cream, heavy cream and vanilla paste and mix until well blended.
- Add in the flour and mix on lower speed.
- Add in eggs on at a time until just well blended.
- Once the baklava is cooled down, flatten the top part, pour in the cheesecake mixture and bake for 1hr to 1 hr and 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool it down completely before cutting it.