Why hello there. At this point in my blog, you probably notice the pattern, cheese and onion haha. No, I just have so many left overs from previous recipes that I wanna make sure I do all the recipes using the same ingredients or better yet, using the pantry and fridge essentials, and I would probably post “un” complicated recipes here and there and it will a be my “quick snack” series.
French Onion soup is probably the first soup I’ve learned to make when I was starting out as cook. Such a classic flavor. Salty, earthy and to be honest, with how the weather has been in Washington, a frequent soup I’ve been indulging in lately. Just to change it a little bit and since Gelly has been craving for some toasty, buttery melty cheesy goodness (grilled cheese), why not combine our faves. To be honest, you probably don’t need this recipe as it’s super easy. You can probably just take a glimpse of what is the components of this French onion grilled cheese, make it your own and I’m sure it won’t go wrong. I mean unless the pan is too hot. hehe. I trust you but just in case, here is the recipe. Hope you guys like it😘.
French Onion Grilled Cheese
Yield 3 Sandwiches
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 of medium size white onion, sliced
a tiny pinch of beef bouillon
1/4 tsp dried thyme
salt & pepper to taste (for the caramelized onion)
3 tbsp butter + 1 1/2 tbsp for grilling
6 slices of French bread loaf
1 1/2 cup Swiss cheese or gruyere
- Caramelize Onion: Heat a pan with 1/2 tbsp oil and sauté onion until soft (make sure your stove is on medium heat)
- Add in a tiny pinch of beef bouillon just to give it the beef flavor.
- Add in dried thyme and sauté again for about 4 minutes until it’s light brown. Season with salt & pepper and then set aside.
- Set grill pan on medium heat with 1/2 tbsp of butter and place buttered French bread slices and assemble your grilled cheese. Cheese-Caramelized Onion-Cheese again.
- Grill until the cheese is melted.
- Repeat with the other 4 slices of bread.